Call me back

Villages East

ARDINGTON

Ardington is a beautiful unspoilt downland village and civil parish about 2 miles (3 km) east of Wantage in the Vale of White Horse.  The parish includes the hamlet of Ardington Wick and stretches to the Great Western Main Line between Dicot (London Paddington 45mins) and Swindon.  The parish stretches from the loam rich north to the chalk downlands to the south. Ardington and its twin sister Lockinge are in the beautifully maintained Lockinge Estate originally laid out by Lord Wantage in the c.19th Century.  The ancient path of the Ridgeway runs through the southern part of the parish. There are several racing stables in and around the village, most of which use the Downs for gallops.  The Church of England parish Church Holy Trinity has origins c.1200. Georgian Grade II listed Ardington House was built in c.1721 and is open to the public in the summer months.  The boars Head pub is adjacent to the Church and has a provides an excellent friendly pub/restaurant. There is also a thriving business community within the village housed in the original estate barns and outbuildings. Ardingrton has excellent road links to the A417 with the A34 close at hand at Milton linking to the M40 Oxford (north) and Newbury M4 (south).  http://www.lockinge-estate.co.uk/ 

CHILTON

Chilton is a charming South Oxfordshire village listed in the Domesday Book of 1086, sitting on the historic Ridgeway National Trail.  The village boasts a highly rated primary school and pub as well as been well placed for easy access to the A34, which in turn offers fast route links to the M4 (Newbury) south and M40 (Oxford) north.  Harwell Science and Innovation Campus and Appleton Rutherford Laboratory are also close by with a wide selection of employment opportunities. Nearby market town Didcot offers a wealth of shopping and leisure facilities, together with a main line rail connection to London Paddington in circa 45 mins.  The village is well located for secondary schools at Compton and Didcot as well as the excellent Abingdon, Newbury and Oxford.  

COMPTON

Compton is situated within the West Berkshire District and is high up on the North Wessex Downs within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, in a hollow of chalk downland. The village has a Parish Church, general store and post office, a public house/hotel, a surgery, a day care centre, a Village Hall, a Play Group, a Crèche, a Scout/Guide hut and a Sports and Recreation Centre. There are also two schools, Compton C of E Primary and the Downs Secondary school.  Compton is very well situated and provides excellent road links being seven miles north of the intersection for both the M4 for London and the West, and the A34 for Oxford and Southampton. Didcot is 9 miles to the north with a main line train station to London (Paddington 45 mins) with further stations at Goring, 6 miles to the East and Newbury, 10 miles to the South. 

DORCHESTER

The historic village of Dorchester on Thames sits at the confluence of the rivers Thames, just 9 miles south of Oxford.  Dorchester is a small Oxfordshire village of just over 1000 inhabitants, located 8 miles south-east of Oxford and close to the spot where the River Thames meets the River Thames.  One of the oldest communities in the area, the village, local walks and Dorchester Abbey are popular with visitors; not to be confused with our Dorset namesake, Dorchester on Thames is perhaps best known for the magnificent Abbey Church of St Peter and St Paul.  The village has a popular primary school and pre-school, a striking 15th Century coaching Inn ‘The White Hart’ with accommodation and an accredited ‘fine dining’ a la carte restaurant; and there is also a Co-op supermarket.  Further information on the village amenities, and businesses.  What’s on http://www.dorchester-on-thames.co.uk/ 

EAST HENDRED

East Hendred is a highly sought after downland village with two church primary schools, a shop, two churches, a gastro pub and two further restaurants/country inns as well as an award winning Vineyard.  Nearby Wantage provides a range of comprehensive amenities including shops, banks, leisure and recreational facilities as well as a weekly market and regular farmers markets.  There is also a good selection of education provision within the local area including the excellent Abingdon and Oxford schools. East Hendred is well situated for excellent access to the A34 leading to the M4 Newbury c.16m (South) and M40 Oxford c.15m (North) via the A417 and a main line train station to London (Paddington 45mins) via Didcot c.6m is also close at hand. What’s on  http://www.hendred.org/

GINGE

East and West Ginge are situated immediately below the South Downs. West Ginge is in the parish of Lockinge, both hamlets having populations of less than 30. Nearby West Hendred is a small village and sister to the larger East Hendred, both of which are situated at the foot of the Berkshire Downs just 3 miles east of Wantage.  West Hendred benefits from a 13th Century church, a popular public house/restaurant, a newly constructed children’s playground, an excellent village hall and playing field as well a regular bus service. East Hendred has two church primary schools, a shop, two churches, a gastro pub and two further restaurants/country inns as well as an award winning Vineyard.  Nearby Wantage provides amenities including shops, banks, leisure and recreational facilities as well as a weekly market and regular farmers markets. An excellent range of both private and state schooling within the local area. Ginge is well situated for excellent access to the A34 leading to the M4 Newbury c.16m (South) and M40 Oxford c.15m (North) via the A417 and a main line train station to London (Paddington 45mins) via Didcot c.6m is also close at hand.

HARWELL

The historic village of Harwell is situated east of Wantage and close to the Berkshire Downs. The village benefits from a primary school, ward winning Gastro pub, excellent butchers, village shop, hairdresser, village hall, large recreation ground, garage and numerous clubs and societies as well as a thriving WI. The area offers a good choice of restaurants and pubs, recreational facilities, cinema and a theatre, all in a close proximity of the village.  The village is also served by an excellent bus service allowing for easy commute into Wantage, Oxford, Abingdon and surrounding areas Harwell has excellent road links via the A34 Oxford Winchester route leading to the M40 (North) and M4 (South) at nearby Milton where the is also the extensive Milton Business Park, as well as main line links via Didcot Parkway providing easy commuting to Oxford, Reading and London (Paddington c.45 mins). What’s on http://www.harwellparish.co.uk/

MILTON HEIGHTS

Milton Park is a small Hamlet with excellent communications to the A34 and M4 and Didcot Parkway Railway Station to London (Paddington). There are shops and amenities in the nearby village of Steventon, co-op general store, primary school, hairdressers, and several public houses. The nearby Milton Business Park offers further amenities within the Plaza shopping centre of which there is a Barclay’s bank and Park Gymnasium with a full range of leisure facilities.

MILTON HILL

In about 1770 Thomas Bowles of Abingdon enclosed land on Milton Hill about 1.5 miles south of the village as a park and had Milton Hill House built there. His son Thomas (died 1837) enlarged both the park and the house. The library was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott for John Samuel Bowles. It remained the Bowles family seat until 1905 when it was sold by Col. Thomas John Bowles It is now a DeVere hotel and Spa.

WEST HENDRED

West Hendred is a small village and sister to the larger East Hendred, both of which are situated at the foot of the Berkshire Downs just 3 miles east of Wantage.  West Hendred benefits from a 13th Century church, a popular public house/restaurant, a newly constructed children’s playground, an excellent village hall and playing field as well a regular bus service. The parish includes the hamlet of East Ginge, which is immediately below the Downs.   The sister village East Hendred has two church primary schools, a shop, two churches, a gastro pub and two further restaurants/country inns as well as an award winning Vineyard.  Nearby Wantage provides a further range of comprehensive amenities.  An excellent range of both private and state schooling within the local area. West Hendred is well situated for excellent access to the A34 leading to the M4 Newbury c.16m (South) and M40 Oxford c.15m (North) via the A417 and a main line train station to London (Paddington 45mins) via Didcot c.6m is also close at hand

"Douglas and Simmons have been very helpful to us; in our case we were buyers and they supported us for a good 3 months while solicitors sorted things out. They were always approachable and happy to talk to us and helped explain what solicitors were doing, which was very useful. They obviously work as a team and if we ever sell our lovely home we will definitely use them."
Trevor and Margaret P